Monday, March 31, 2008

I manage to make a fool of myself...again










On Sunday March 30th I took the TOTAL CONTROL ADVANCED RIDING CLINIC. HA! Total control? Maybe Dace Park the lady teaching us had total control...me? I think I'm rubbish! And the reason is because I am mentally lazy and too busy goofing around. (I'd love to blame the on/off throttle of early fuel injection but a a poor workman blames his tools).

I booked the course through T.E.A.M. Arizona at their convenient Gilbert site. A bit tight. Parking lot stuff. Tough on an R1 but the taller GS BMW's aced it! Good blokes there and we were in awe of Dace as she talked us through mental attitude, real-world look where-you-go, drop-into-the-corner stuff and even a great session whereby we all helped analyse AND ADJUST each of our suspension settings! I think the benefits of the course are sinking in more today than yesterday when I took it. I NEARLY got my knee down (no slider so maybe with a 4' thick one?).

Today a helpul chap with an ad on the awesome Craigslist has got me some original end cans with the baffles still in them for $50 (the pinhead AZ kid who owned my R1 actually BELIEVED all the rubbish on the web and ripped the baffles out). Fair price and I can ride my R1 knowing it won't burn through the pistons. I'll junk the K&N filter for a standard too as the fine desert sand may get through the K&N. I was also advised not to use SHELL fuel as they apparently put fine grit in the fuel to cleanse carbon from the valves. Fine for cast-iron car valves but super-tuned, super-fine titanium bike valves? I'd rather play safe...

I'll be rigging my 2 camera DVR from 4KAM next and getting ready to logo the beast and ride til I drop!

No comments: