Tuesday, March 25, 2008

Well the bike has been bought...

Boy did I have to hunt for the R1. There was a lot of running around and disappointments with either the bike or the price. It was hard to decide but I had set my sights on getting the latest bike possible for under budget to allow for improvements and servicing etc. Job done!

I have a metallic candy-apple red 2005 R1 just like my favourite picture from Yamaha. I was gagging to ride this bike after my 1998 R1 in London in order to compare handling and turning in particular. The first R1 is ballistic and those carbs really make a sweet motor. But the handling on tight, narrow, twisting British roads that are totally neglected is pretty lairy. The acceleration and low speed trickling is superb but getting the bugger to turn is not confidence inspiring. I was advised (and rightly so) to swop the visually hot 190/50 rear tyre for a 180/55. What a difference! It's a huge improvement. So I get on my new 2005 here in Phoenix and it feels like a 250 compared to the old one! On 190/50 Michelin Pilot Power rubber it seems like a dream to me. I am hoping to get various views on the best rubber but I would love to try this baby on 180/55's. The other shock is how LOUD the twin underseat cans are compared to my 98 big old cannon side can. The 98 is silent. This baby has a rather ugly drone so I HAVE to ride quicker to escape it...

It needs a few bits, like sexy indicators, and a double-bubble screen to send the wind over my head (where most information from our techies goes) so I'm out there hunting.

If you fancy an R1 (if you don't go see a shrink immediately) I have found a few that are worth buying so you are welcome to call me.

Next up by way of preparation is some refresher riding course and a USA licence. T.E.A.M. Arizona are going to help me out so more about that when it happens. In the meantime I'll carry on with the phone tag.

And finally I flew to Huntington Beach CA to meet with Z Custom Leathers to design my Sage Software leathers. Really nice people and Dianne is from England too so they HAVE to be lovely right? Good advice from years of experience. White shoulders and outer arms to avoid that blasted Arizona sun and the rest black to avoid that grubby, dirty, smelly stained leathers look. I'll start using new-car interior spray as a deoderant after a month on the road...

No comments: