Wednesday, December 31, 2008

Its been ages...too much going on



Well I guess it looks like I dropped off the planet.
I did.
Way back in September I was home in good old Blighty and we actually had some nice weather. Our local Fire Brigade in Haslemere threw a bikers day to emphasize safety and Michelin tyres, amongst others, had a stand. I mention them because I must write their PR dept. about the longevity of these fantastic Michelin Pilot Road tyres. I had worn the old rear tyre to the carcass by St. Petersburg Florida and the chap at a dealer there recommended the Pilot Road for long distance. I've popped in a photo of the bugger after it's done more than 15,000 miles and there is still tread left! And roads in the USA are often pretty rough. Anyway, hundreds of bikers turned up over the course of the day. I think the free burgers and cups of tea were the real draw. That and the sight of so many great bikes. Safety chats were hardly going to be top billing now were they?
I was given a little room to show slides and explain to small groups of British bikers how to enjoy touring the States. I had to laugh at the old 2-stroke James Barnet bikes. I had forgotten that back then nearly all the British right-foot gear-change bikes had a gear indicator at the base of the lever. Try reading that at 60mph in pouring filthy rain. I used to try on my Norton 650 Dominator. Duffer I was.
I was only home a few weeks and did a bit of sightseeing to beautiful Clovelly in Devon http://www.devon-online.com/towns/clovelly and started more jobs around my tiny 1876 terraced house. I think I'll never finish. Then it was back to Phoenix and just in time for the Victory BMW Oktoberfest where I finally got to ride the BMW F800GS. That'll be the next blog.

No comments: