Sunday, July 13, 2008

Death Valley has nothing on this ride!

Monday was hot and sunny as we pulled out of Monterey. To make up for lost time we headed past the little airport, scooted past the famous Laguna Seca Raceway (fabulous motorcycle racing at this place including MotoGP) and in Salinas we took Hwy 101 south to Paso Roblas. As we swung east on Hwy 46 the sign said NO SERVICES FOR 50 MILES. Try 65. Burning heat is a cute little slogan for the conditions on this brown, barren, boring and burning ride. More like a solar flare up your shorts and a hot potato mashed in your t-shirt! We hit the I5 junction and I threw water all over me at the petrol station. Then we braved the I5 south towards LA, past the Lake Hughes turn-off for the Hole in the Wall Gang Painted Turtle Camp, to the 210 east to San Bernardino then south to Riverside and cool rest. Much of this ride was in rush hour. I kept one eye on the tarmac for ripples, one eye on the traffic all around, one eye on the verges for cops, one eye on Jax for signs of fainting and my remaining eyeballs on the speedo, fuel, oil and temp gauges. Pain was the overall memory from this 381 mile non-stop blast. I slept 10 hours.
Tuesday was a day off to work.
Wednesday Jax and I worked and then enjoyed a very tasty, and somewhat exotic, meal at Mario's in Riverside opposite the old mission styled hotel built in 1910. I learned a new treat for salads here that I plan to try on guests when I'm back home in England (200 years from now!)

No comments: