Saturday, July 12, 2008

New friends to the rescue...







Words and photos by JK
Thur. July 3rd 2008: Like two naughty boys we had stayed up very late laughing our heads off. Garrett was imitating some of his local yokels in a funny American accent that had me laughing until I ached. I wrote my blog, eventually, and at 2am I turned in. So… I overslept. As I grabbed a coffee I heard a lady refer to her morning cup of tea and ended up meeting a couple that were from England but now lived in California. We swopped stories, since her husband owned a Honda VFR (good choice dude), and they rode many miles together. The sun is shining and we are OK to make Pleasanton by 1:30pm. We are going to spend a few days with an ACC called Dinah Thompson and I am looking forward to hearing about her recent trip in the UK. As soon as we get fuel, and more coffee for me, we are set to go through the best scenery a biker can find. Wahooo.
I left these words as I had written them. Within an hour the day was wrecked with one busted collarbone and one splintered ZXR636. I am always criticized for rejecting admonition to BE CAREFUL! Why? Because it doesn't work. Garrett and I had just agreed to take it nice and steady and CAREFULLY through these extreme corners. As I gently rolled through a tight downhill/uphill right-hander at the recommended 15mph I heard a bang. I looked in my mirror and saw Garrett low-siding at a very slow speed. The big right-hand exhaust can causes one to tip over instead of gently slide to the tarmac. He never even grazed his knuckles! The bike slid on a shiney tar patch (see photo of the spot) and once away from Garrett the headlight was crunched by a Jeep in the other lane. The chap in that Jeep was Andrew Brennan, an EMT, and fully equipped to assist in such an accident. Andrew is a scuba diver http://www.pyratescuba.com/ and was so professional and friendly one would never know his car was busted up too! Emergency people arrived (one wag said they'd be happy for the action!) and everyone was helpful and kind. Bronwyn and Evan of the ambulance crew were ever so kind and experienced. Thanks a million! I followed the ambulance as it drove from this remote place, with the best sea views on the planet bar none, along that writhing road to arrive 1 1/2 hours later at Santa Rosa Hospital. Garrett was zapped with rays, stuck with needles, drained of blood, strapped up and finally told to clear off home with a sling and some pain killers. I was surprised to learn that apparently there are actually not many motorcycle accidents along that road in spite of the terrain. Garrett joins the battle-scarred elite. I knew exactly what had caused his injury and I would recommend all motorcycles have underseat or stubby low exhausts in future.
In the meantime, Jax had arranged for us all to stay with Dinah Thompson, an ACC in Danville CA http://www.sierrafg.com/, and I was on the mobile to Dinah as Garrett and I had a small meal and a coffee at the hospital cafeteria. I cannot express the enormous gratitude we owe to Dinah and her husband Jim. Dinah cheerfully drove all the way to Oakland airport and picked up Jax, then all the way to Santa Rosa through 4th of July traffic to pick up Garrett and his gear, and led the way back to their gorgeous home. That lady can drive! I have never been so impressed and I have driven millions of miles on many continents and I am on my 110th car and 13th motorcycle. I have followed hundreds of people. She was fast, decisive, clear to indicate, worked as a team leader and I never had a moments hesitation for over an hour in the dark through busy California traffic around San Francisco. The pounding I got from the roads was another matter! Dinah and Jim settled us all in and spoiled us rotten until Jax and I had to leave on Saturday for urgent business she had in Riverside. Dinah also ran Garrett to the airport at 7am for his flight home on the Sunday morning! Geico will see to the bike and Jeep.
On the Friday Dinah cooked about 200lbs of Chippotle pork and made a salad with the world's BEST dressing. I'm getting the recipe. Eat yer hearts out. Time to unwind in the pool and jacuzzi was appreciated and then actor John Lang came by. John is an ACC as well as an actor http://www.johnhale.net/. John took Jax and I to meet his daughter Rebecca and to watch the fire works at a local park. Rebecca was singing in the car for just a few moments and what a lovely voice she has! Another one for the stage? Check out the size of her cat! Jim Thompson is a fascinating and experienced businessman and I want to find a less hectic time to hear his stories. I know he helped Garrett forget his pain with his photos, travels, and anecdotes. Dinah is an energy source. She was so cheerful and lively and organised and relentlessly geared for hospitality and ease that when Jax spotted the little Duracell bunny toy she bought it for Dinah on the spot. We think Duracell should use Dinah instead of the bunny! Dinah is also a SageCRM consultant and her superbly equipped office reflects her organisational skills. The friendship and kindess she displayed to Garrett and I as strangers is beyond words. We owe you sweetheart!
Saturday afternoon saw Jax and I off to Monterey. It was surprisingly cold on the coast after super-warm Danville/Pleasanton and I was disappointed to miss meeting the staff at the Sage offices in Pleasanton, especially Deborah who was so interested in our trip and Garrett's well-being. So I wasn't in the greatest mood to visit Monterey. The Sunday morning drizzle that descended also blotted out much of Carmel (a lovely little town on the beach) as I rode out for fuel and to ascertain the passability of Hwy 1 through the world-renowned Big Sur. It was closed due to the awful fires. We were forced to wait another day as I had left my waterproofs to be shipped to Riverside. I confess that things swirled through my brain as my tour plans were knocked about and I had lost my riding buddy. Get well soon Garrett. Thanks for the photos, the fun, the philosophy and the friendship along those 4000 miles.

No comments: