Tuesday, July 22, 2008

Some Like It Hot...









Words and photos by JK

We left Chula Vista and trundled along to Hwy54 east to Hwy125 to the I8 east to Yuma AZ. WOW WOW WOW! When I was planning this trip I guess I had never skipped over a section of the map as quickly as I had the I8 from San Diego to El Centro and Yuma. Why? Because I had ridden the I1o parallel to I8 from Phoenix to LA and quite frankly if you enjoy chewing tin foil or following Winnebagos with 85 year old drivers on turned-down pace-makers then take your zimmer-frame and walk that motorway. To assume that this would be the same was a mistake. The rock formations and scenery from this I8 road are unrepeatable must-sees. The heat HAS to be experienced in its own right from a crotch-rocket in full leathers with a pillion. Simply insert your head into your microwave and set on full for 90 minutes. Enjoy. How on earth Jax survived is beyond human comprehension. Me? I'm a duffer imune to all hardships bar mosquitos! Was it worth it? I would die before I forgo that ride. Regrets? Not stopping for photos every 2 minutes! We had a good burger at La Posta where an off-road biker confirmed Jay's suggestion that Tecate was a better border crossing, arrived in El Centro for fuel, a cool drink and friendly service and set our heat-blistered horizons for Yuma AZ. We stopped part way for water and I snapped the Sahara style sand dunes. Some trucker sought shade under a tree. If you can imagine a traffic jam of SUVs on Mercury drive to Yuma. The surface temperature on the side of Mercury closest to the Sun reaches 427 degrees celsius, a temperature hot enough to melt tin (Ha! Nothing to my leathers!). We cooled off in some fast-food joint in Yuma and set off again to ride two-lane Hwy 95 the 81 miles through flat, hot desert to Quartzsite. More fuel, a spectacular sunset and bone weary we set off for the last 35 mile ride in the dark to Parker. At a cheap motel we sank into a swimming pool and stared at a huge full moon. We didn't make it to Lake Havasu and London Bridge so that would be Saturday's ride.

No comments: