Monday, May 5, 2008

Savannah Georgia and South Carolina. Very picturesque.










I can't lie. The things I saw in South Carolina made me a tad angry. The ride to Savannah was dispatched via the Interstate to make time for photography. Of course you know that means buildings. Sometimes I wonder if I value buildings above people. Ok. I do. People are gone by 100 years. The buildings they make speak of them for thousands. I was told by our customer Mary Frances Ray at Smith Barney in Scottsdale that Savannah GA was worth the visit. She was more than right. Great is the word. I was starved for old buildings and Savannah had a great feel about it. (See pics). Real deep south with moss hung trees. I reflected on all those with a confederate flag on their pick-ups and realised why the pre-civil-war south was so proud. What a fabulous atmosphere these streets generate and the steamy heat I hated when re-fueling just seemed so right. Not so charming if you were a slave I dare say! A friendly restaurant and super friendly Harley riders made the day. I was aware that people stared at robo-cop as I walked by and took photos but I could care less. I wanted to buy half the run-down houses in town and start swinging my hammer. Glorious south.
I decided I couldn't leave out South Carolina so I kept on until the 321 to Fairfax and Allendale as a non-interstate route to Augusta GA. Here's where the anger began. Lower-income people need to conserve and spend wisely. Maybe some need education in wise spending too. I saw a lot of junk-food purchasing at petrol stations, at top-dollar, by people that could go 6 months without food before they even noticed their hips were 40" less. But none of these people need this number of churches bleeding them poor. I saw a church every 1/4 mile but only 3 houses in the same distance and those were often shacks. Man oh man I thought we had too many pubs in England! but churches in America! Flamin' 'enry they are everywhere! Is it the backbone of America or the bane of America? I guess if it helps people cope they should decide but my simple brain cell kept thinking..."If only they had that money for their kids". I stopped to photograph a very old barn and James Jackson came to say hello. He became invalided when a car ran a red light. He could barely walk (no wonder in those red shorts) but he wished all the kids well as I rode across USA. He hopes to have the internet soon. Hey James...don't rush that one buddy!
I loved the scenery. I rode through a no-stopping zone on HWY 125 and couldn't figure out why one could not stop. It was just forests. I felt pretty ignorant when a bunch of tattooed youth in a van explained that the Savannah River Project was NOT to clean up the river but was a nuclear power plant area under strict surveillance. I hope I don't grow green gills overnight. The kids wished me well and hoped I'd raise a lot for kids with cancer. One of the young girls in the van had already dealt with breast cancer! Scary stuff for our youth!
On to Augusta GA to learn that they can't drink beer on a Sunday. OK. Suits me tonight, but who makes these laws? A very friendly guy chose a southern menu for me and it was as spicy as he warned me. I liked it! I enjoy these southern USA people more and more. What a GREAT accent!!!! Give me more!

1 comment:

David Beard said...

>> Here's where the anger began.

>> need education in wise spending
>> none of these people need this
>> number of churches bleeding
>> them poor

At the risk of attracting the wrath of other believers, James, you have so succinctly nailed some very serious issues in our world.

Safe riding, my friend
- David