Wednesday, April 23, 2008

98R1 vs 05R1





As I ride this 2005 R1 I like to compare it with my original 98R1. The 98 has carbs and a wicked attitude. It is quieter than this 05 and accelerates faster. Or so it seems to me. But this bike is a big advancement over that first legendary watershed. First off, it handles. I swing into slow turns and fast sweepers with confidence I have never known. Even when tired. And riding when tired or nervous or angry is a big NO NO in my books. I find I fight the 98 R1 when corners are involved. I love corners on this 05. Mind you, at the T.E.A.M. Arizona advanced riding school I watched Glenn swing his BMW GS in circles I dreamed of! And on his home stretch he wasted me! I have nothing but respect for those big Beemers and my test ride on the fabulous KTM 990 Adventure convinced me that these big trailies are the best all-round choice. But I still love my R1. Little details make a big difference when total focus and concentration are involved. Like the heel guard. On my 98 it's fixed to the swingarm and you feel it moving up and down against your boot as you ride. So you move your foot outwards. On the 05 it is stationary as it's on the frame. Blessed relief and another brain cell free to focus on that blue-rinsed Buick driver with the poodle on her lap. The underseat pipes are a mixed blessing. After my 2003 crash at Farnham Castle I realised that those big side exhaust cans are a pivot point when you low-side. I was chucked on the tarmac like an orange in a nylon stocking and split my shoulder blade, broke a rib and a finger. I was fine in six weeks thanks to Tuscany sunshine, but I made my mind up to go for underseat pipes in future. The drawbacks? Roast chestnuts. Two-up in Arizona heat with a dirty great hot exhaust pipe right under your saddle is no way to stay cool. I was convinced my butt would spontaneously combust. Also, the natty little underseat storage on the old R1 is now just little and not so natty.

The engine feels pretty much the same and that instantly recogniseable R1 crunch into first is still there. Some ham-fisted first owner fitted HID lights and wrecked the wiring. I have now fixed the wiring and forgiven him as these lights are fantastic. They are low and flat and wide so they don't bother car drivers but intense is an understatement! I can see across 8 lanes and into the bushes either side and the white light picks out cats-eyes for about a mile ahead! I would NEVER go back to ordinary lights. These should be mandated by law for motorcycles! Apparently they use half the power once fired up too. I just hope they last.

The other day I mentioned an idea that needed a dollar store. Ahem. It was a rubbish idea...I bought a little inflatable bath-tub pillow for the saddle to relieve my aching butt. Hahahahahaha. What a horrific experience! I sat about 2" higher on an unstable wobbling cushion for about 1 mile and then abandoned it as unsafe. I felt like Granny Clampett in her rocking chair on top of the Beverly Hillbillies car! Hmmmm, I wonder if they sell inflatable-seat boxers?

No comments: