Friday, April 25, 2008

Buick Bling...

OK I've had enough of this childishness.
About 1953 Buick stuck 3 "gunholes" on the front wing. Hey, it was a few years after WWII and the Spitfire had everyone excited. I know, my dad was in the RAF and my grandad had one of those cars! I actually believed there was a machine gun in the wings. How cool was that?

Anyway, it was the era of tacky image-borrowing for cars that had made zero progress since 1939. So the go-faster stripe era dries up and GM decides to go with just a gentle touch of retro kitsch. Now every eedjut from Louisiana to Florida has lick-and-stick gun holes on the wings! I saw a '99 Accord with them stuck on the wings! Give me a break!
After the levels of acrylic adhesive chrome stick-on rubbish I've witnessed I am thinking of opening a Help Hotline for guys with serious "stick-this-on-your-car" addictions. A huge Billboard will show a concerned girlfriend with the words "Do you, or someone you know, suffer from Buick Bling syndrome? Help IS available. Call the UK now on 01428 641 722"

Oh, don't call THAT number...it's my home in Haslemere, Surrey. I'm away in Florida.

No comments: