Wednesday, April 30, 2008

The world renowned Key West?




Key Largo is 95 miles from Key West which is the southern most tip of continental USA. A bit like Lands End in Cornwall. Which means I'll have to do the old John O' Groats to Land's End thing when I do Full Circle UK/Ireland. There is just one road in and out. US Highway 1. I crossed a seven mile bridge. I lost count of the bridges. The pelicans are an awkward looking, stumpy, double-chin, ugly bird but they can fly. In the strong winds I watched them hover about a foot above the cars in the north-bound lane. They were playing for sure. The waters are unbelievably turquoise blue. The air stinks beyond belief of rotten-egg farts, as if 1000 school boys let off a million stink-bombs. I nearly vomit in my helmet as mile after mile the wretched stench overwhelms. It ended just before Key West. I am dreading the return run. I instinctively wiggle my way through the streets to that southern tip. A couple offers to take my photo by the bollard. They are from Wakefield in Yorkshire. They have flown from UK and NY to be disappointed with the unkempt, scruffy, down-at-heels Key West. But I found some nice buildings. All a bit San Francisco victoriana meets plantation south but its a pity they don't build this style much anymore. It is picturesque. It was supposed to be a day off. Again. I quit early to update things and manage to dash out of the hotel and snap the setting sun. Only 90 miles to Cuba. eh? So when will that bridge be built?

1 comment:

. said...

Thems not egg farts old boy!...
Its barnicles that are clinging to the rocks but are exposed when the tide is out.

I had to help Mike scrape the barnicles from the bottom of his boat in Florida. I thought I was going to gag. If it was bottled for "aroma therapie" it would be labeled "George Bush".

Itll no doubt stink like that again when you get to Washington D.C.

Garrett