Saturday, April 19, 2008

Police police police













No not the English group you duffers! Real black and white cars and sandy-biege uniforms with lotsa GUNS! I left El Paso at 4pm and fought the rush-hour on I10 for an hour until there was nothing left for people to drive to. And I mean NOTHING. Except...police. EVERY SINGLE BLOOMIN' MILE a Trooper had a truck pulled over. Heaven help you if you drove any black VW car! I have never witnessed anything like it. I stopped for fuel and had a Texas burger. It was $3.95 and bigger than a small country. Some tattooed, toothless ex-marine told me they had moved most of the north Texas cops down here to "patrol" the border area.

Did they get me? Yup. I tried too hard to make up for lost time and in the pitch black at 10:30pm I saw a LOT of deer grazing at the roadside. I slowed but then I had a 400million tonne Mack truck up my butt. I was so focused on not hitting a deer I didn't pay attention until the black cop car in the dark with no lights on chased me. Nazi Texas. Anyway, he was nice and I am looking forward to chatting with the judge on Monday. Bit of excitement.

Off to the Alamo this morning. This eastward travel keeps chucking an hour on the clock so I'm forever getting up late! And it's chilly! What do I see besides no coffee in the motel reception? A cop car. No, two cop cars. The 3 policemen are arresting some sad looking black guy. Is he a criminal on the run? He probably just walked too fast along the pavement! Law enforcement here is just a boredom-breaker not a necessity. There is NOTHING here for any human to want to move here. I don't get it. They don't even have trees. Maybe they are all escaping their in-laws?

I'll get some pics of the Alamo today. Sing along now...Davey, Davey Crockett, king of the wild frontier. OK, loadsa pics...Trusty Rusty and the 998, Bisbee AZ, a 1951 Hudson in NM, Columbus NM, 189, me in suit in Rainer's house (check out the chinese fan), John Wayne, Geronimo plaque, troopers outside my motel and more to come tomorrow.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

This is a cool trip....I have 7 other guys and we do a cross country ride every year. A couple years 2 of us pulled into a little town gas station outside of Mobile Alabama and were surrounded by the wrong element...after just making it out we heard down the road that that is common in those areas and we were lucky...So be careful in that general area, especially since you are solo.....Wheels up....throttle twisted and throttle meisters locked!!!

Johnny A
Scottsdale