Monday, June 30, 2008

104 Fahrenheit


Blog and Photos by Garrett Fulton
Until today, whenever I thought of the Pacific North West, I had always imagined cool pine forests, frozen mountain tops and rainy port cities.I was completely caught off guard by temperatures of 104 degrees plus.
Even though an 80 mile an hour wind cools you while riding, it stillin no way compensates for a black leather jacket, a black insulated helmet,a black rubber seat, sitting on a couple hundred pounds of engine at the boiling point of water and wearing the same set of clothes for the second day in a row. It was an ishy feeling to say the least.
James wasnt looking too good after the heat and the ride. Standing in mild dilerium in the parking lot of the Motel, he unloaded the saddle bags and muttered, "I think Im going to pass out." I didnt doubt him. Having made it into the hotel, he sat on the edge of the bed,frozen in suspended animation looking like a nursing homealzheimers patient in need of help. It was as if narcolepsy had suddenly kicked in or he had died of a heart attack on the spot and was held upright by rigger mortis.He actually had me concerned for a couple of seconds, but then I remembered I had a date with a few pints of beer and was out the door.
The scenery,earlier in the day, while we wound our way through Mt.Rainier National park was worth the drive. Endless trees, winding roads, mountain peaks and the pinacal of it allwas a parting in the forest which revealed one of the worlds most glorious tickingtime bombs, Mt. Rainier.
Its all a bit dizzying, all this talk of fault lines and volcanos, whats going to blowwhats going to slide and when, but I did the best job I could of being an attentive student as my proffessor, the local bartender, educated me.
It looks as if the Juan de Fuca faultline (yes thats a real name) will decimate Oregon when it goes. It will go from Oregon to Ore-gone. There is nothing I can do about it. Icontemplated the coming disaster as I ordered another beer and burger.
Greetings to Debra Wilcox at Sidelines Sports Bar and my bar buddy J.P. from Van Couver as we go into tomorrow when Germany will decimate Spain in the European Soccer cup. "Die Fahne Hoch!!!!!!!!!....Go Germany!!!!!!!!!
(Aaaahhh not quite. JK)

No comments: