Sunday, June 22, 2008

Saturday with family









Words and photos by JK

Well this may bore the majority of you. Family pics are usually dull but it's part of my tour so suffer me folks. I am quite sick still so while Garrett rode into the city I drank hot vitamin C drinks and slept. I felt pretty good at 5pm when they called so I rode north into the city centre to join them for a city walk by the Bow River and an excellent Irish steak and Guinness pie. Calgary is a rich city and the Lambos and Maserati I snapped are not uncommon. I'm not jealous...much.
En route I pulled up beside a bright orange custom Harley Screaming Eagle V rod. I complimented the bloke and he was very friendly. The lights changed and there before us were 4 lanes of absolutely empty road. Now that Harley shook Afganistan with it's exhaust as he hauled ass out of there. I tucked in, opened my baby's throttle and within 6 or 7 seconds hit 128mph. He rolled up to the lights beside me and grinned. We gave each other the thumbs up for that happy moment of devilment and as I swung west on 12th Avenue (at a very legal pace) he honked his horn and waved a big goodbye. I love bikes. Now here's the freaky bit. This morning Garrett spots a comment on my blog (rare as rocking-horse manure). It's from my best mate's son! Phil and Sharon Bennett live in Glossop England. You know, near the world-famous Hayfield. Almost as famous as Munich's No. 19 tram. Anyway, Dan Bennett was just exiting a C-train station and saw 2 bikes racing. He saw the Sage logo on my thigh and knew instantly who it was! What are the chances? Du du du du Twylight Zone!
We had a pleasant walk, enjoyed a meal, watched Garrett give in to a Guinness or 4 and took the mick out of me for being sober. We agreed to spend another day here and to meet up tonight again. I am trying to get hold of Dan too. It's just as well we decided to stay because I woke up feeling VERY ill with aching lungs and dizzy spells. I'll rest today again and then I promise I'll stop being a wimp and ride hard for the rest of this week. Tomorrow we are off to Banff and Lake Louise so expect more mountains, pine trees, lakes and rocks photos!

No comments: