Friday, June 27, 2008

Without Merritt



Words and photos by JK
The ride from Merritt (most expensive food on the planet?) to Vancouver was very scenic and the sunshine helped. Garrett really liked this stretch. I was rather fascinated with the "Chinese watercolour" mountains. Egg-like mounds covered in evergreens. We fuelled up in Hope, an historic jumping off point for the Klondike goldrush if my memory serves me right. (OK don't trust my memory - my single brain cell can be dodgy). Several people asked me about the charity and what ACT! software did. Again, I found that the Sage name seemed to be known. On to Abbotsford and I managed to remember the turn-off at Whatnot Road. Right up the hill, left onto Old Yale Drive and into Mountain View Village. We called it Vinyl Village because of the fake wood ship-lap siding. There is a photo of our old house. Now here's a story. Next door lived a cheerful 18 year old boy who soon made our aquaintance. I wonder whether my 3 teenage daughters were any influence? Anyway, that lad and I got on a treat and went fishing, skiing etc. About 14 years later, at a Sage event in Scottsdale AZ, I enjoy an evening with a Sage employee and I can't put my finger on why I know him. Next day it hits me. Rob McKay! The boy next door. In 30 minutes I will ride to meet Rob and the staff at the Richmond BC offices of Sage to explain my tour. Small world eh?
I spent 45 minutes cruising the streets of Abbotsford letting old memories flood back and then on to Vancouver. The grass between the lanes of the Trans-Canada Highway is no longer trimmed so no lurking cop cars. We still kept the pace sedate. Vancouver's Hasting Street was as seedy as ever (Garrett wanted to photograph all the down-and-outs) and Canada Place convention centre has great views. I love the bush planes (yet another childhood dream I had - being a Bush Pilot!) and when one came in for a landing I snapped away. We fought the horrendous traffic to Richmond and the first motel we found became our base. A day off to catch up also allowed me to visit my niece Jemma Kingstone and her mum and share a pizza. Their cute but minute toy pincer dog, Moby, seemed to take to me after I shared my pizza with this jumping-bean, rat impersonator. Bribery always works.
Today we will ride to Redmond WA where I hope we can meet up with Mark Hammer our Technical Director who is in Seattle area for a wedding.

No comments: