Thursday, June 12, 2008

A bad case of wind




Blog and photos by Garrett Fulton
Our brief period of good weather abruptly came to an end on the day we set out on our trip.The sky was an ominous thick quilt of gray and black. In preparation for a downpour I had on my yellow rain suit. It flailed whipped and snapped in theheavy cross wind so severely that it felt as if I was being pummeled by a mob of angry Bulgarianhousewives with and fly swatters.
The very motorcycle itself was blown around the road like a toy boat in an ocean of air and seemedless like a 400 pound metal missle and more like a kite with severed string.
After foolishly removing our raingear to keep from overheating at a rest stop, we pressed on to theSouth Dakota border. Before we could make it however a storm loomed up on the horrizon like a great and terrible dragon. Daylight turned to darkness and it proceeded rain so hardthat I felt as if I was on a jet ski, plowing my way through, creating a watery wake in my path.So intense was the rain, I nearly had to pull over from inability to see.
Mere minutes later however, it had passed and we drove off into a warm sunset, emerald green fields and drying roads. A roadside diner was there to greet us with neon lights, blue plate specials and highway memorabilia.

No comments: