Monday, June 2, 2008

Toronto and Paul is up to devilment






I heard Paul in the early hours getting ready to head out and wondered where he gets his energy from. I finally got up late and Jenny had coffee and directions for me in no time. Then I saw my helmet. I jumped out of my skin! "Flippin' 'eck, I don't remember falling on a rock..." were my first thoughts. Then I laughed at mischevious Paul's big kid trick. Their place has a Gaudi garden built by some mad architect so I had Jenny snap my picture in it. It was a beautiful sunny day and the ride along Lakeshore Blvd made me remember so many places and things from my school years here and especially my time at Northern Secondary studying fine art and painting. I make a note to return and see things old and new. I made good time up the Don Valley Parkway after snapping some shots of the CN Tower, the tallest man-made structure. It is so tall that apparently they had to cast it with a slight twist as the rotation of the earth straightens it out! Cool! Now if I borrow Charles Busa and spin the earth a bit faster will the tower snap?
The gang at Sage were so friendly and obliging (as always with Sage staff) (waddya mean I'm creeping?) and I met Paul for a fantastic Chinese meal like I have never had before. What? No rice? Paul has this honking great truck from the 70's that he drives like a sports car. Great fun.
I hit the road to meet my nephew way down in St. Thomas Ontario. The ride was hot and long and pretty boring as the flat farmlands rolled by. The real killer was the speeds. When you are restricted to 60mph it takes FOREVER to get across the flat lands of lower Canada. St. Thomas was a big railroad town so there are lots of cute houses from that era. Andrew and Tonya Kingstone spoiled me rotten. I had not met Tonya yet and I had not seen Andrew in 15 years! Kingstones can be pretty useless at keeping in touch but we tend to be easy going about it. There was so much news to catch up on it was 2am in no time. I slept like a dead man.

No comments: