Thursday, June 19, 2008

Taking my anger to the Grave




Photos and Blog by Garrett Fulton
Imagine riding 80 miles out of your way in great anticipation of seeing something that people have hailed as breath taking, only to arrive there and find that the tourist attraction they were raving about was the equivalent of the “Belly Button Lint Museum.” That is roughly how disappointed I was at seeing the famous Glacier Park. (see angry attached photo)
It goes without saying that anyone who can travel for days through mountains, forests and lakes and is still willing to pay $12.00 to get into a National Park to see mountains, forests and lakes, undoubtedly has something wrong with them. To such chin dribbling suckers like myself, paying an entrance fee to see what I had seen for days for free was an I.Q. test that I had clearly failed.
The one advantage that I had to view the mountains in Glacier Park was that I didn’t need to bob and weave to look beyond the McDonalds signs and power lines to see them. Otherwise, the scenery inside the park was no different to the scenery outside the park.
I must backtrack for a moment however, before anyone reading this who loves Glacier N.P. starts chucking spears at me ,and state that we only got 16 miles into the park as the road was closed beyond that point because of a 2 foot snowfall that they had received the week before. So, my criticism must be curtailed as I wasn’t able to see the whole thing. Perhaps just over the next forbidden hill the streets were paved with gold, super models were serving bikers pitchers of beer and Led Zeppelin was doing a reunion tour amongst the pines,…but I really doubt it.
Soooooooo…..back we tracked for the same 40 miles we had come in until we found our way north towards Canada. I was enjoying my frustration and anger with Glacier National Park when we stumbled across something which robbed me of my delicious hate.
There by the side of the road were some of the most inviting wooden cabins I had seen in a long time. The grounds were immaculate and the cabins inside were cozy and detailed down to a nail. It’s the quaintest accommodations we have had so far.
To deprive me even further from my bad mood, the caretaker brought us complimentary crackers, cheese and sliced fruit, not unlike your mother would bring her little adventurers who are camping in the back yard. By now I was thoroughly at home and was dreading having to leave.
Their website should soon be up at
www.GraveCreekCabins.com. Don’t let the name dissuade you. You will be hard pressed to find cozier accommodations or hospitality on your travels.
(Second photo is of ACT consultant Tami and a photo inside our cabin at Grave Creek. Greetings to my cousin Jodie W. who has been following along as well.)

No comments: