Tuesday, June 17, 2008

On to Cody and some knee down corners




























Words and Photos by James Kingstone

I was feeling much better after some aspirin and my back was strong again. Garrett's tooth was still hurting so he swallowed about 3 tonnes of tablets. We were headed for Cody Wyoming on a lovely sunny Sunday. We fuelled up and headed out for a short run where the 14 and I90 run together and turned off at Gillett. I thought of shaving. Garrett thought it was ugly. We stopped in horror at a trash strewn hillside and took pictures out of sheer disbelief. Then off to ride through half abandoned towns with "historic" jails. Then on to Sheridan where we ate a pretty hefty meal at a Perkins with very friendly staff. Back onto the 14/90 for a short run.
We passed a police car who had nailed some speeding SUV. Moments later I see his flashing lights. No way had we been speeding. I pulled over as the ever oblivious Garrett dreamily wafted off into the distant hills. His rear-view mirrors are crap. The policeman asked why I had not moved over to the outside lane when passing him. I gather American police like to be given a wide berth whilst issuing "citations" (how odd - I always thought a citation was an award). He was actually very friendly as he explained the meaning of the awkwardly worded signs about emergency vehicles. I hardly thought an officer issuing a ticket was an emergency...except for the poor sod getting the "citation". Eventually he sent me on my merry way with directions to turn off at Ranchester. A cross between Ranch and Manchester I assumed.
Garrett was waiting up the road and soon we were climbing the twisty road over Bighorn National Forest. That first sight of vast snow-capped mountains looked like clouds on the horizon. I was excited to get sliding back and forth in my saddle as we finally got to put some side rubber to tarmac. At the first sight of snow I stopped and made a snowman. A little mascot hitchhiker. We left him lonely and melting in the road and headed on to 9430 feet and snow walls. The views were alpine stunning. The run down the west side was great fun although Garrett had a heart-stopping moment when he saw the cattle grid across the road in a curve. Steel tube roads when you are fully cranked over is not a favourite recipe for staying rubber-side down! However, we arrived unscathed in Lovell to refuel and high-five over our exhilarating ride. Garrett made great strides that day and it was the perfect practice run for Yellowstone. We ride well together and Garrett always puts safety first. I rely on cynicism, speed and space. We finished the evening run into Cody, managed the last room as throngs of Harleys flooded the town and ate at the Irma Hotel (1902) http://www.historic-hotels.com/hoteldisplay.php?id=10. Garrett chatted up the cute Russian waitresses that spoke no English. They were very patient. I was so glad to have my kidney pains gone and my back stronger. I swear that riding twisties at heart-stopping speeds cures all back ailments. It may cause boxer-short problems. Garrett was now trying salt solutions and antiseptics on his swollen gum. Tomorrow - the world famous Yellowstone!

No comments: